All existing standards will be maintained and will adapt as the community changes, subject to the approval of the majority of parents present at the Annual General Meeting.
The basic strategy of the school is to strive for academic excellence.
- The present standard of teaching and evaluation will be improved.
- The aim of the school is to equip learners for tertiary education.
- A variety of subjects, both academic and technical, will be presented, depending on the economic viability of the demands.
- As far as possible, the best teachers will be employed and their services retained.
- In order to maintain meaningful quality education, the maximum number of learners in each grade and in the school as a whole, will be limited to the extent to which they can be accommodated based on the resources of staff available.
This is in line with the national teacher-learner quota in the school.
- SOURCE OF POTENTIAL LEARNERS
Preference will be given to learners residing in the surrounding area of the school.
The following will also be taken into account when considering enrolment:
- Is the learner in closer proximity to another school than Hope High which meets the requirements of the learner’s language and culture?
- A learner with brothers and / or sisters in Hope High, living in Hop’s feeder area and who resides with the owner of the site and residence and where this owner legally and financially takes responsibility for the scholastic education of such a learner.
- A learner whose home is the nearest to Hope: where this house is in Hope’s feeder area and who resides with the owner of the site and residence and where the owner legally and financially takes responsibility for the scholastic education of such learner.
- A learner who moves from outside into Hope’s feeder area, who has not been enrolled at another local school and who resides with the owner of the site and residence where the owner legally and financially takes responsibility for the scholastic education of such learner.
Parental involvement in school activities is required, but must be co-ordinated.
The aim of the school is to prepare learners for the future, e.g. academically, socially, spiritually and culturally.
- Freedom of speech and thought will be encouraged.
- Learners are encouraged to listen to different opinions and to recognize and accept the differences.
- A balanced extra curricular programme will be presented and participation encouraged.
- The policy of the school regarding sport involvement is that as important as winning may be, the spirit in which participation takes place, is more important.
- ADMISSION CRITERIA
- All parents must sign and accept the school enrolment policy and the school
- Learners and parents are expected to accept the character of the school.
The right to the freedom of religion is acknowledged, providing it does not contravene the school’s Code of Conduct neither the Constitution of the RSA.
- Application is approved when:
- all original (final) documents have been received (the school will make Photostats of original documents)
- an interview has taken place
- the contract for payment of school fees has been signed and
- the Principal/a member of school management have signed the application form.
- The maximum age of acceptance is as follows.
1 – The year in which the learner turns 7
2 – The year in which the learner turns 8
3 – The year in which the learner turns 9
4 – The year in which the learner turns 10
5 – The year in which the learner turns 11
6 – The year in which the learner turns 12
7 – The year in which the learner turns 13
8 – The year in which the learner turns 14
9 – The year in which the learner turns 15
10 – The year in which the learner turns 16
11 – The year in which the learner turns 17
12 – The year in which the learner turns 18
Parents are reminded that according to the South African School’s Act, a learner is
Of school-going age until the end of the year in which he turns 15 or has passed Grade 9, whichever comes first.
- A learner at the maximum age for a grade and who fails will not be re-enrolled.
- A learner who fails a grade will not automatically be enrolled for the next year.
- Enrolment is at the discretion of the Admittance Committee. If a learner has more than 600 demerits he will not be enrolled.
- A learner’s enrolment at Hope High depends on whether his / her ability, potential, behaviour and attitude meets the academic standard of Hope as determined by the school’s Governing Body and Staff.
- In order for the school to consider application for enrolments, official proof
Regarding residence, age, identity of parents / guardians, academic progress and medial history must be made available to the Principal / Head of Department.
- Learners, who have been expelled at another school due to misbehaviour, will normally not be considered for enrolment.
- All parents, whose children have been considered for enrolment, will be invited for an interview with the Principal, accompanied by their child.
- The school fees as determined by the school’s Governing Body, is compulsory. The Declaration and Agreement form must be signed.
- Participation in an extra mural activity is a prerequisite for enrolment.
- The final decision regarding acceptance to the school is made by the Admission Committee. If uncertain whether the learners meet the requirements, the Principal will convene a meeting with the Executive Body of the Governing Body who will then make a final decision.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING:
Parents are responsible for the purchasing of textbooks for the different subjects.
The learner must be in possession of the necessary items within two weeks of receiving notification.
All learners and parents are subject to the regulations of the KwaZulu Natal Department of Education and the Governing Body of the school.
Any complaints about the school must be lodged with the Principal / Governing Body.
The interpretation of the application of the school rules is the responsibility of the principal and the Governing Body.
I hereby accept the Admission policy and – requirements.
NAME OF LEARNER DATE
INITIALS AND SURNAME IN PRINTING SIGNATURE
(PARENT / GUARDIAN) (PARENT / GUARDIAN)